Week two of this year’s Great British Menu cooking contest sees three of the north west’s best chefs – returning contender Mary Ellen McTague, Jason Atherton’s protégé James Durrant and new chef Mark Ellis – battle it out for a place at the finals.
The three chefs must deliver superb foods to satisfy two Michelin star chef Daniel Clifford if they are to progress to the final.
Daniel spent the first 12 years of his career in some of the best restaurants in the UK and France, and cooked at Midsummer House that saw him gain his first Michelin Star in 2002 followed by the second in 2005. He has also won the Great British menu on two occasions.
After the first day of cooking and presenting their starters to be judged and graded by Daniel, the three chefs were surprised at the scores they received. However, out in front and finishing the day on a high, was James with his spicy pigs head and scallops dish that was awarded a well earned 8 points.
- Great British Menu 2014: Northern Ireland Fish Course, Main Course and Dessert dishes
- Chris McGowan clinched victory in the Northern Ireland final on the Great British Menu 2014 with his Rice Pudding Ice Cream
- Pigeon Post by Raymond McArdle, Dig For Victory by Chris McGowan and Fighting Food by Will Brown starter recipes starts series 9 of the Great British Menu
- Steamed cod with mussels by Claude Bosi and Sautéed lambs liver by Daniel Clifford on Saturday Kitchen live
- Arnaud, Rohan, Harrison, Joe, Andrew and Brenton showcased their cooking skills on MasterChef: The Professionals 2016 UK
- Simon, Josh, Fernando, Robert, James, Elly cook for survival on MasterChef: The Professionals 2016 UK
- Matt’ humble apple crumble recipe and Eve’ lancashire bobin recipe on Great British Menu
- Who won MasterChef The Professionals 2013 after the final challenge: Adam, Scott or Steven
- Paul Hollywood Pies and Puds: Nigel Haworth makes a Herdwick mutton pudding with black pea gravy
- Chef Mike North venison with mash potatoes dish at the North Nut Tree Inn on A Taste Of Britain wowed Brian and Janet